CHARLESTON, WV (WOWK) — West Virginia has broken its last record for most reported deaths in a day with 23 new deaths reported today.
The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources has confirmed the deaths of a 99-year-old male from Marshall County, a 72-year-old male from Fayette County, a 91-year-old male from Harrison County, an 81-year-old male from Wood County, an 88-year-old male from Raleigh County, an 82-year-old female from Kanawha County, a 65-year-old male from Cabell County, a 59-year-old female from Mercer County, a 90-year-old female from Pocahontas County, a 69-year-old male from Mercer County, a 77-year-old male from Harrison County, a 55-year-old female from Harrison County, a 60-year-old male from Boone County, a 76-year-old female from Lincoln County, a 68-year-old male from Berkeley County, a 66-year-old female from Wyoming County, a 79-year-old female from Berkeley County, an 80-year-old female from Hancock County, a 92-year-old female from Ritchie County, a 74-year-old male from Mineral County, an 83-year-old female from Mineral County, a 77-year-old male from Mineral County, and a 73-year-old male from Lincoln County.
This breaks the last record by four deaths. The state has a recorded a total of 758 deaths.
WV DHHR is also reporting 976 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the state’s total to 48,818, with 41,561 confirmed cases and 7,257 probable cases. At this time, there are 16,921 active COVID-19 cases, with a daily positivity rate of 6.07% and a cumulative positivity rate of 3.67%.
Seven West Virginia counties are in the red on today’s County Alert System map. Those counties are Mineral, Grant, Wirt, Mason, Wyoming, Marshall and Ohio counties. 18 are in orange, including Hancock, Brooke, Jefferson, Berkeley, Morgan, Hampshire, Hardy, Pocahontas, Nicholas, Boone, Wayne, Putnam, Wood, Ritchie, Doddridge, Harrison, Barbour and Preston counties.
Number of COVID-19 cases per county: Barbour (441), Berkeley (3,374), Boone (663), Braxton (119), Brooke (682), Cabell (2,956), Calhoun (81), Clay (120), Doddridge (125), Fayette (1,177), Gilmer (209), Grant (405), Greenbrier (534), Hampshire (353), Hancock (753), Hardy (295), Harrison (1,463), Jackson (706), Jefferson (1,413), Kanawha (5,785), Lewis (242), Lincoln (433), Logan (1,069), Marion (927), Marshall (1,276), Mason (513), McDowell (629), Mercer (1,374), Mineral (1,356), Mingo (990), Monongalia (3,373), Monroe (379), Morgan (297), Nicholas (371), Ohio (1,613), Pendleton (109), Pleasants (101), Pocahontas (215), Preston (664), Putnam (2,009), Raleigh (1,644), Randolph (718), Ritchie (182), Roane (188), Summers (2748), Taylor (360), Tucker (141), Tyler (141), Upshur (523), Wayne (1,052), Webster (69), Wetzel (415), Wirt (117), Wood (2,639), Wyoming (756).
The WV DHHR is hosting free COVID-19 testing sites around today at these locations:
- 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM, Martinsburg High School, 701 South Queen Street, Martinsburg, WV (pre-registration: https://wv.getmycovidresult.com/)
- 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM, Shenandoah Community Health, 99 Tavern Road, Martinsburg, WV (pre-registration: https://wv.getmycovidresult.com/)
- 4:30 PM – 8:00 PM, Dorothy McCormack Building, 2000 Foundation Way, Martinsburg, WV (pre-registration: https://wv.getmycovidresult.com/)
- 1:00 PM – 6:00 PM, Boone County Health Department, 213 Kenmore Drive, Danville, WV
- 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Cabell-Huntington Health Department, 703 Seventh Avenue, Huntington, WV (flu shots offered)
- 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Clay County Health Department, 452 Main Street, Clay, WV
- 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Doddridge County Park, 1252 Snowbird Road, West Union, WV (in the barn)
- 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Petersburg Elementary School, 333 Rig Street, Petersburg, WV
- 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM, HCEAA Building, 17940 State Route 55, Baker, WV
- 4:00 PM – 8:00 PM, Moorefield High School, 401 N. Main Street, Moorefield, WV
- 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM, Jefferson County Health Department, Front Parking Lot, 1948 Wiltshire Road, Kearneysville, WV (pre-registration: https://wv.getmycovidresult.com/)
- 2:30 PM – 6:30 PM, Shepherd University, Parking Lot beside Wellness Center, 164 University Drive, Shepherdstown, WV (pre-registration: https://wv.getmycovidresult.com/)
- 8:00 AM – 3:30 PM, Kanawha-Charleston Health Department, 108 Lee Street, E., Charleston, WV (by appointment; 304-348-8080)
- 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Marshall County Health Department, 513 6th Street, Moundsville, WV (pre-registration: https://wv.getmycovidresult.com/)
- 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM, Mason County School Bus Garage, Willow Lane, Point Pleasant, WV (pre-registration: https://wv.getmycovidresult.com/)
- 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM, Mercer County Health Department, 978 Blue Prince Road, Bluefield, WV
- 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM, Mineral County VoTech, 981 Harley O Staggers Drive, Keyser, WV
- 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM, Mineral County Fairgrounds, Route 28, Fort Ashby, WV
- 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Williamson Health and Wellness Center, 183 2nd Avenue, Williamson, WV (under the tent)
- 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Hurley Drug Company, 210 Logan Street, Williamson, WV
- 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Kermit Volunteer Fire Department, 49 Main Street, Kermit, WV
- 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Berkeley Baptist Church (Family Life Center), 172 Winchester Grade Road, Berkeley Springs, WV
- 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM, St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 18001 W. Webster Road, Craigsville, WV
- 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Valley Grove Volunteer Fire Department, 355 Fire House Lane, Valley Grove, WV
- 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Warwood Fire Station 9, 1301 Richland Avenue, Wheeling, WV
- 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Wheeling Island Fire Station 5, 11 North Wabash Street, Wheeling, WV
- 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM, First Baptist Church, 2034 Webster Pike, Route 119 South, Grafton, WV (pre-registration: https://wv.getmycovidresult.com/)
- 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Wayne County Health Department, 217 Kenova Avenue, Wayne, WV
- 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM, South Parkersburg Baptist Church, 1655 Blizzard Drive, Parkersburg, WV (pre-registration: https://www.ipsumcovidresults.com/)
- 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Old Board of Education, 19 Park Street, Pineville, WV
- Gov. Hogan discusses Maryland budget for fiscal year 2022
- Meritus Health provides an update on vaccination efforts
- ‘Tiger King’ legal team expects Trump pardon; planning ‘hair, makeup, wardrobe’ and limo for his release
- McConnell said Trump ‘fed lies’ to mob about Biden election
- Trump to depart DC for Florida ahead of Biden’s inauguration