Reports: West Virginia man person of interest in NYC subway bomb hoax

West Virginia

NEW YORK CITY (WOWK/AP) — A West Virginia man is a ‘person of interest’ being investigated by the New York Police Department for causing a bomb scare in New York City on Friday, August 16th, 2019, by leaving two rice cookers at a subway stop and a third by a trash can. The Logan County Sheriff’s Department was contacted by the FBI Joint Task Force in New York concerning Larry Kenton Griffin II, 26, of Bruno, West Virginia.

Logan County Deputies say Griffin has a history of criminal activity and has been arrested by the Logan County Sheriff’s Department at least three times within the past eight years. The charges range from possession of a controlled substance involving weapons to use of obscene material to seduce a minor. Griffin was indicted by the Logan County Sheriff’s Department in 2017 for the charges of “Use of obscene matter with intent to seduce minor” and “Distribution and display to minor of obscene matter.”

There is currently an active warrant for his arrest that was issued by Judge Eric O’Briant and signed on March 18, 2019. The warrant was issued due to Griffin’s failure to report and for missing drug screens as part of his pre-trial bond supervision.

New York Police stressed that so far, it wasn’t clear whether he was trying to frighten people or merely throwing the objects away.

“I would stop very short of calling him a suspect,” said John Miller, the New York Police Department’s top counterterror official. “It is possible that somebody put out a bunch of items in the trash today and this guy picked them up and then discarded them, or it’s possible that this was an intentional act.”

Earlier, Gov. Andrew Cuomo had said authorities suspected the items were placed in the subway “to suggest that they were electronic devices and possible bombs.”

Many rice cookers look like pressure cookers, but the latter use pressure to cook food quickly — a function that has been used to turn them into bombs.

Police swarmed the initial finds around 7 a.m. on the mezzanine and platform of the Fulton Street station, a few blocks from the World Trade Center and New York Stock Exchange. Dozens of suspicious packages are reported daily in New York City, but the proximity to the site of the Sept. 11 attacks served to heighten anxiety before police gave the all-clear.

About two hours later, a third rice cooker — the same make, year and model — was also found about 2 miles away (3 kilometers) on a sidewalk in the Chelsea neighborhood, prompting another police investigation.

“This is a frightening world we live in, and all of these situations have to be taken seriously because God forbid one day … it’s a real device,” said Cuomo, a Democrat. “We learned the hard way after 9/11, and we are prepared.”

Michael Oji, a New Jersey resident who works in lower Manhattan, said he’s lived in the metro area for more than 20 years and saw the additional security that came to the area after the Sept. 11 attacks.

“Going to work in the morning, thinking that everything’s OK, and you run into something like this, it’s scary,” he said just outside an entrance to the station that had been closed off by armed officers.

Multiple subway lines were partially suspended during the police investigation at Fulton Street, and delays continued throughout the morning.

Pressure cookers packed with explosives killed three people and injured hundreds when a pair of Islamic extremists detonated them during the Boston Marathon in 2013.

In September 2016, a pressure-cooker bomb went off in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood, injuring 30 people.

In 2017, a would-be suicide attacker set off a homemade pipe bomb in an underground passageway at the Times Square subway station during rush hour, seriously injuring himself.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

More Maryland
More West Virginia
More I-270
More Virginia
More Pennsylvania

Trending Stories