WASHINGTON (WDVM) — The Metropolitan Police Department is honoring the life of Officer Kevin Welsh. 34 years ago, on August 4th, Officer Walsh died trying to rescue a civilian.
MPD says Officer Welsh jumped into the Anacostia River to save someone who had jumped off a bridge. Welsh did not survive.
The police department says he will never be forgotten, honored for his bravery and courage.
MORE NEWS FROM WDVM
- Second stimulus checks: Where we stand after Trump’s push for new direct payments
- Mourners gather at the Supreme Court Building to honor Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- $13B aid package to help Puerto Rico 3 years after Hurricane Maria took too long, Democrats say
- Report shows Southern farmers collected more trade war aid
- ‘We all want to get something done’: COVID-19 relief package remains at a standstill