UPDATE: Virginia State Police say a vehicle was traveling southbound on I-81 in Shenandoah County when it veered off the left side of the roadway and flipped multiple times at the 287 mile-marker. Two passengers, an adult and child, died from the accident.
Police say a 6-year-old boy from Kingsport, Tennessee was ejected from the vehicle and died at the scene of the crash. Carmelita Samples, 50, of Kingsport was flown to INOVA Fairfax Hospital where she died from her injuries.
The driver and two more passengers were transported to Winchester Medical Center with serious injuries. Police say the passengers are a 41-year-old man and a 31-year-old woman.
Police identified the driver as Britanny A. Toy, 31, of Jackson, Mississippi. Toy is charged with reckless driving.
Police say Virginia State Police’s Culpeper division crash reconstruction team responded to the accident and is assisting with the ongoing investigation.
SHENANDOAH COUNTY, Va. (WDVM) — Virginia State Police are investigating a single-vehicle crash that happened along Interstate 81 at the 287 mile-marker in Shenandoah County on Wednesday at 11:06 a.m.
Officials have confirmed fatality. The identity of the people involved has not been released.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
- Frederick County Teachers Association issues vote of no confidence in FCPS
- Montgomery County Police see an increase in carjackings since pandemic
- Maryland will launch mass COVID-19 vaccinations sites
- Tech entrepreneur Pete Snyder announces bid for Virginia governor
- Pregnant women should not take Moderna vaccine, WHO advises