ASHBURN, Va. (WDVM) — An Ashburn, Virginia couple has been charged with federal COVID-19 relief loan fraud.
The U.S. Department of Justice said Monica Jaworska, 43, and Tarik Jaafar, 42, were taken into custody at John F. Kennedy Airport after allegedly attempting to commit wire fraud via falsified paycheck protection program loan applications.
Officials said the couple was attempting to flee to Poland. Jaworska and Jaafar reportedly submitted a total 18 PPP loan applications to 12 financial institutions in the names of four business entities between April and May.
The Department of Justice encourages anyone who believes they are a victim of a scam or attempted fraud involving COVID-19 to call the national center for disaster fraud hotline at 866-720-5721.
MORE NEWS ON WDVM
- LIVE: Safety concerns persist as IOC says Olympics without fans ‘something we don’t want’
- Want to shop? Wear a mask!
- Number of laid-off workers seeking jobless aid stuck at 1.3M
- Florida workers surprise 4-year-old girl with garbage truck birthday parade
- Kevin Stitt becomes first U.S. governor to test positive for COVID-19