LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. (WDVM) — Last Friday a home in Loudoun County caught fire, with damages totaling nearly one million dollars.
The fire started from lithium batteries inside a toy car that was charging in the garage.
Out of the family of four, residing in the home, only one adult suffered minor burns to the arms.
This very unfortunate incident is a reminder to always check your batteries, looking for signs of odor, change in color, excessive heat, leaks, or odd noises.
“We always want to remind residents to check your batteries, make sure that you’re not overloading your circuits, and you know, if there’s an odor or excessive warmth or if there’s any kind of misshapen form to your batteries, unplug them if safe to do so and call 911.”Laura Rinehart, PIO Loudoun County Fire, and Rescue.
Lithium batteries power many devices including smartphones, laptops, and even cars. Loudoun Fire says it’s rare, but they can catch fire. The fire department also wants to remind residents to never charge devices on soft surfaces such as a bed or couch, because the device can overheat and catch fire.
- St. James School Grad, Tucker Almany, Finding Success at St. Joe’s; Proving that Hard Work Pays Off
- DCPS announces first-ever Family Advocacy and Leadership Summit
- Officers pulling overtime hours, National Guard mobilized as country awaits Chauvin verdict
- Artificial intelligence software seeks to prevent mass shootings
- How many people need to be vaccinated before we reach herd immunity?