FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. (WDVM) — Fairfax County’s Commonwealth Attorney Steve Descano announced that his office will no longer seek cash bail.
Descano said in a video posted on Twitter that cash bail is “racially biased” and promotes disparities between the rich and poor in the criminal justice system.
The attorney said that his office will instead pair individuals with services so that they can go home, but ensure they appear for their trial date.
He is calling upon the general assembly to abolish the cash-bail system.
“All it does is create a two-tiered system of justice, one for rich people and one for everybody else. Unfortunately, black and brown Virginians bare the brunt of that injustice,” said Descano in the video.
Descano released his full plan detailing a “workable solution” on his website.
- President Joe Biden to hold first news conference of 2022
- White House to make 400 million N95 masks available for free
- Is headache a symptom of the omicron COVID variant?
- Global airlines rush to change flights to the US over 5G problem
- Man charged with using SUV in the murder of his wife will undergo mental evaluation