Imagine coming across a scorpion as you’re preparing a meal.
Well, that’s the nightmare one shopper found herself in Monday morning, when she opened a bag of Giant brand spinach leaves from its Chevy Chase location.
“If I was stung, that could have been fatal,” said Sri Sindhusha Boddapati, shopper that discovered the scorpion.
It probably would not have been fatal, but Boddapati wasn’t far off.
WHAG’s Emilie Ikeda shared the video with Dr. Floyd Shockley, Collections Manager at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum; his best guess for its species is a striped bark scorpion, which administers an incredibly powerful and painful sting.
They’re extremely common in the South-Central region of the U.S. and Mexico.
“It says triple-washed,” said Shanmukha Pranay Rajeev Jerripothula, Montgomery County resident. “Generally, people think that it’s washed, put it in the salad and right away eat it.”
Giant refused an interview but released a statement saying:
“Customer satisfaction is our highest priority. We regret any inconvenience to our customer. We take the quality of our products very seriously, and we are following up with the supplier to take every step to ensure this isolated incident does not occur in the future.”
The couple complained to Giant shortly after their discovery, only to be offered a two dollar refund. They didn’t receive a response from the store’s manager until 8:30 p.m.
The item is no longer on the Chevy Chase store’s shelves.
The couple said they’re very disappointed by Giant’s response and won’t be returning to shop there.