ROCKVILLE, Md. (WDVM) — The Montgomery County Council introduced a special appropriation of nearly $8 million with plans to help support school-age child care providers and to help families get access to daycare.
The special appropriation of $8 million would be in addition to funds previously allocated in this years budget, which will still need to be approved.
The money would come from federal funding.
“This investment is also critical to the county’s economic recovery, allowing furloughed child care providers to return to work and caregivers to attend to their professional responsibilities,” said Council President Sidney Katz.
According to a press release, the funding for school-age child care providers is severely needed to help offset increased COVID-19 related expenses and decreased revenue. “A special appropriation is an appropriation which states that it is necessary to meet an unforeseen disaster or other emergency, or to act without delay in the public interest,” said Mary Gies, legislative senior aide to Katz.
The plan would provide $1.8 million to help child care centers in Montgomery County buildings reopen for full-day, school age services.
Grants up to $250,000 would be awarded based on the number of classrooms a child care provider has open. In order to be eligible for a grant, child care providers must:
- Reopen full-day, school-age child care classrooms in MCPS buildings during the first semester of the MCPS 2020-2021 school year
- Have a Maryland license to operate child care in the classrooms
- Have a facility use license for the classrooms through the Office of Community Use of Public Facilities
- Be in good standing with the State of Maryland
The plan would also provide $5.6 million to help students pay for full-day, school-age child care services within Montgomery County. The money will come from the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Children, Youth and Families.
A public hearing is scheduled for Sept. 29.
It was nice to speak with you yesterday. I am reaching out to clarify the definition of special appropriation. A special appropriation is an appropriation which states that it is necessary to meet an unforeseen disaster or other emergency, or to act without delay in the public interest. Also, the grants to school-age child care providers are up to $250,000. The online article states, “$250,000 grants will be awarded based on the number of classrooms a child care provider has open.”
MORE NEWS FROM WDVM
- Warming up dramatically this week
- Newsfeed Now transforms for campaign coverage as election approaches
- Northern Shenandoah Valley United Way hosts ALICE Awareness Week
- Mountaineer trio honored by Big 12 Conference
- Frederick County Virginia phone scams