SUNSET, S.C. (AP) — A 15-year-old South Carolina boy drowned trying to save his younger brother in what officials say is the state’s deadliest body of water.
News outlets report Sahiyd Thomas died Friday after attempting to save his 12-year-old brother in Lake Keowee, near Keowee Toxaway State Park.
Pickens County Deputy Coroner Gary Duncan says Thomas noticed his brother struggling in the lake and pushed him back to shore. He says Thomas went backward and under the water.
Duncan says Thomas was on a camping trip with a church. His younger brother’s condition wasn’t immediately released.
A GoFundMe has been set up for Thomas’ memorial service and funeral arrangements. As of Monday morning, $1,985 had been raised out of the $8,000 goal.
- Penn State hockey salvages series split with Wisconsin
- Montgomery County Police investigate death
- Hagerstown police investigating a days-old body found in a city residence
- Maryland National Guard assists with COVID-19 vaccinations
- Loudoun County adds Juneteenth, replaces Columbus Day with Indigenous People’s Day on calendar