FREDERICK, Md. (WDVM) — A 35-year-old woman was arrested and charged with murdering an 81-year-old woman in Frederick.
Frederick Police say first responders were called to a home on North Bentz Street around 6:45 p.m. Sunday after someone said an elderly woman had fallen down the stairs. When they arrived, Frederick Police say the woman was dead.
Detectives began investigating when the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner reported head trauma and other unusual circumstances. On Monday, Maria Gloria Vazquez-Mebo, of Frederick, was taken into custody.
“During an interview, Mrs. Vazquez-Mebo confessed to striking the victim multiple times with a blunt object,” said Frederick Police.
Vazquez-Mebo has been charged with first and second degree murder. A district court judge ruled on Tuesday that she would be held without bond.
The victim’s name will not be released, according to Frederick Police.
MORE NEWS FROM WDVM
- WVU signee Wyatt Milum named West Virginia’s Player of the Year by MaxPreps
- Bill banning guns at Virginia polls advances as contentious election season comes to an end
- Agencies say Super Bowl security is constantly evolving, improving to make event safer
- Forced to wait in Mexico, asylum-seekers make video pleading with President Biden
- Penn State’s Jonni Parker moving past the latest COVID-19 challenge