Two separate back-to-back fires both have candle-related causes

Maryland

Officials say more than a dozen residents were displaced

SILVER SPRING, Md. (WDVM) — About two dozen people are without a home after two separate apartment building fires in Montgomery County over the weekend – both fires were caused by candles.

Multiple residents were forced to get out of the burning building at the flower branch apartments in silver spring. Crews were called to Garland Avenue around 4 a.m. to rescue residents, including one resident who jumped from the second floor. The cause of the fire was accidental, likely a candle left burning on top of a plastic storage bin.

Another fire took place on Friday at the Bethany House on Rollins Avenue in Rockville, it injured two residents displaced four. The cause is also accidental resulting from a burning piece of paper that was used to light a candle and then thrown away in a trash can.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News Headlines

Events

Don't Miss

More Local News

Trending Stories