UPDATE: One dead after Gaithersburg townhome fire, significant damage reported

Maryland

Courtesy, Pete Piringer, MCFRS PIO

Update (1/1/2021 7:52 p.m.): Officials have stated that the adult male rescued from the fire has succumbed to his injuries and passed away on December 31st, 2020.


Update (12/3 9:28 a.m.): Officials say the cause of the fire was a space heater close to the bed of a basement bedroom. The space heater reportedly ignited the bed, and officials say the man rescued was found on the floor of the room and was likely in the basement when the fire started.

Officials say smoke alarms activated and alerted two other residents upstairs to the fire. One of the upstairs residents was treated for minor injuries.

Officials say there is over $500 thousand in damage to the residence.


GAITHERSBURG, Md. (WDVM) — Montgomery County Fire and Rescue officials say a fire originating in the basement of a three-story Gaithersburg townhouse late Wednesday night sent one man to the hospital and resulted in considerable damage.

Officials say one man was rescued from the basement by firefighters. The man was transported to the hospital with significant injuries from smoke inhalation and burns. The remaining two residents of the home were able to evacuate the building, officials say.

The first floor of the middle-of-row townhouse collapsed, according to officials. It is unclear if there is any damage to connected or surrounding townhouses.

Officials say emergency services responded to the fire on the 800 block of Bayridge drive around 11 p.m. Wednesday night. By midnight, around 65 firefighters were on the scene to combat the fire, officials say.

“There were some pretty heavy fire conditions in the townhouse,” said MCFR Public Information Officer Pete Piringer in a Thursday morning tweet.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News Headlines

Stay Connected

Events

Don't Miss

More Local News

Trending Stories