MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Md. (WDVM) — A 34-year-old woman was hit and killed on I-270 in Gaithersburg this morning just before 11 a.m. Northbound lanes were blocked for several hours as Maryland State Police investigated the crash.
MSP identified the victim as Kelly Elizabeth Vanaman of Frederick, Maryland. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
State Police says it appears she hit a chair in the road before pulling off to the left shoulder and getting out of the car. Another driver swerved to avoid cars that had slowed down nearby, hitting the jersey wall, then hitting Vanaman.
The area of the crash was less than one-half mile from where a man changing his tire was hit and killed by a tractor trailer on I-270 last December.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
- VIDEO: One dead, at least 7 injured in overnight storm that ripped through St. Landry Parish
- Multiple dog tags among odd items found in 445-pound gator’s stomach
- Mom goes viral after sharing creative lunches for her kids on social media
- From gift cards to cash: these fitness apps pay you to get in shape
- Stimulus checks: What we know about how people are spending the $1,400