CUMBERLAND, Md. (WDVM) — A fatal crash closed Rt. 135 for about five hours on Sunday morning, police said.
Maryland State Police Cumberland Barrack said officers and Allegany County EMS responded to the single-vehicle crash in the area of eastbound Rt. 135, east of Tri-Towns Plaza in Westernport. They found the driver, identified as 73-year-old Roger Wilhelm, in his overturned pickup truck. He was pronounced dead on the scene.
According to police investigation, they believe Wilhelm lost control of the pickup truck, which led him to leave the roadway and overturn. He was the only person in the pickup truck, police said. Police said they responded at 10:36 a.m., and the Maryland State Highway Administration helped close the road for about five hours.
MORE NEWS ON WDVM
- American, United Airlines to furlough 32,000 workers without federal bailout agreement
- Virginia NAACP says constitutional amendment on the ballot would adversely affect Black voters
- Former President Jimmy Carter celebrates 96th birthday
- 837,000 Americans filed for unemployment last week
- Chrissy Teigen’s heartbreaking announcement brings awareness to taboo topic of losing a baby