UPDATE: Hagerstown house fire that injured 3 firefighters determined to be accidental

Maryland

FUNKSTOWN, Md. (WDVM) — Washington County officials responded to the area of 1700 block of Carter Lane Tuesday morning to a large apartment fire that injured three firefighters. An update from the Maryland State Fire Marshal said that the origin of the fire was accidental and caused by an electrical failure.

Officials responded around 10:18 a.m. to reports of a large garage-style building with a second-floor apartment heavily engulfed in flames.

According to officials, three firefighters were injured and transported to a nearby hospital for medical attention suffering from minor injuries. Officials report a firefighter was intially trapped and has since been removed.

Two firefighters who were from Williamsport and Halfway volunteer fire companies had minor injuries. They were both transported to Meritus Medical Center for treatment. One firefighter from the Department of Emergency Services had first, second and third-degree burns to his body and was flown to MEdstar Washington Hospital Center for treatment.

Officials say no civilians were injured. The incident is under investigation by the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office. 

This story is developing and will be updated.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News Headlines

Maryland Forecast

More Weather

Events

Don't Miss

More Local News

Trending Stories