Car catches fire after driver used hand sanitizer, smoked cigarette, responders say

Maryland

Image courtesy of Pete Piringer on Twitter (@mcfrsPIO).

ROCKVILLE, Md. (WDVM) — A car caught fire near the Federal Plaza shopping center on Rockville Pike on Thursday evening.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue responded to the parking lot near Trader Joe’s and Silver Diner around 5:30 p.m.

Pete Piringer, spokesperson for MCFRS, said that the fire started because the driver was using hand sanitizer and smoking a cigarette. He said that this is a “bad combo in unventilated area like a car.”

One person went to the hospital with non-life-threatening minor burns.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News Headlines

Maryland Forecast

More Weather

Events

Don't Miss

More Local News

Trending Stories