BREAKING: Hagerstown apartment fire

Maryland

BREAKING: The Hagerstown Fire Department was dispatched a little after 6:30 pm for an apartment fire located at the 100 block of Fairground Avenue.

When the fire department arrived on the scene, there was smoke coming from the second floor of the apartment building. 

The fire was determined to be caused from a cooking mistake in the kitchen which caused a grease fire.

The fire department was able to quickly extinguish and control the fire because they arrived to the scene immediately after the call was dispatched. 

The total damage will be determined by the fire marshall’s office, but because of the quick response to the call, residents should be able to be back in their apartment by later tonight. 

Adam Hopkins, Battalion Chief of the City of Hagerstown Fire Department was on the scene. He said, “We were alerted for an apartment fire. When we arrived on the scene, we had smoke coming out of the second floor of the apartment house. We had a little bit of extension, which means we had fire get up outside of where it originated. We were able to quickly control that.”

The fire department reminds the public to stay in the kitchen when operating any type of cooking device so that if something goes wrong, you are able to quickly react to it and prevent the fire from worsening.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

More Maryland
More West Virginia
More I-270
More Virginia
More Pennsylvania

Stay Connected

Events

Don't Miss

More Local News

Trending Stories