Hagerstown, Md. (WDVM) — Late Wednesday evening in Downtown Hagerstown at around 8:20 p.m. Potomac Towers were seen producing smoke throughout the building.
The fire originated in the building’s basement trash compacter, which was contained by the sprinklers, however, this did not stop the smoke from escaping from the chute and into the building. The smoke rose through all twelve floors causing everyone to either leave the premise or take shelter in the balconies of their rooms, according to fire authorities.
No information has been released on the spark that caused the fire, and no injuries were reported.