FREDERICK, Md. (WDVM) – The Frederick Police Department is investigating vandalism of the statues inside a cemetery.
Police said they received a call around 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday from Mount Olivet Cemetery. Upon arrival, police discovered that three Confederate statues were destroyed and vandalized. According to the police, there are some slogans and symbol that are associated with “Black Lives Matter,” however they cannot confirm whether individuals from the movement are involved in this incident.
The cost of the destruction to the statues could be at least $100,000, police said.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
MORE NEWS ON WDVM
- Humane Society of Washington County enhances Foster Program
- Kinetic Art Promenade organizers seek local artisans for 2021 display
- Community Foundation of Frederick County set to distribute more than $300,000 in grants
- Frederick animal shelter in need of donations
- WV health director: No magic wand to make COVID-19 vanish