Maryland man risks his life to save others in apartment complex fire

I-270
A fire broke out in a three story apartment complex in Olney, Md. Saturday morning.

Flames engulfed the building at the 3200 block of Spartan Road.
According to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service’s Chief Spokesman Pete Piringer, multiple bystanders ran into the building to help residents escape, including Scott Teague, who says he was on his way from a car wash, when he saw signs of the fire.
Teague and others risked their lives to save people that could have been trapped inside the burning building.

“I saw smoke coming up so I started banging on the doors,” said Teague, “to make sure everyone was out of their apartments.”
Teague recalls residents holding on tightly to their children, some of them in tears.
The Montgomery County Fire and Rescue point out the fire started on the second floor bedroom.
“It could have been caused by an electrical issue,” says Sandy Spring Volunteer Fire Department Fire Chief Mitch Dinowitz.
Dinowitz adds that until the electrical meter gets fixed, residents may be out of their homes for an unknown amount of time.
Ride On is providing buses for the residents displaced due to the fire and the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue is helping them with their individual needs as much as possible.

The Montgomery County Fire Department says they are still investigating the incident.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News Headlines

Events

Don't Miss

More Local News

Trending Stories