SILVER SPRING, Md. (WDVM) — The Pineway Towers apartment building on Piney Branch Rd in Silver Spring, Maryland was evacuated Monday so the building could be ventilated after a high level of monoxide was detected around 4 p.m.
“What we believe happened now is that there was a maintenance operation welding going on in the oiling room area it was not ventilated well carbon monoxide got into this building ventilation system and spread throughout the building,” said Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service’s Pete Piringer.
The evacuation impacted over 800 people and 150 apartment units. According to officials they have to check each room in the building and are working on getting everyone back into their homes Monday night.
No injuries were reported.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
Stay up to date with the latest local news updates and alerts by downloading the FREE LocalDVM news app. Click here to view our apps.