ALEXANDRIA, Va. (WDVM) — MOM’s Organic Market celebrated National Voter Registration Day by partnering with Common Cause and the League of Women Voters to register people in Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and the District of Columbia.
Common Cause’s Election Protection Coordinator for Virginia, Shanise Williams, set up outside of Del Ray’s MOM’s on Tuesday. “Having the right to vote is important, whether you’re campaigning or voting, no matter who you’re voting or campaigning for,” she said.
Common Cause is a nonprofit, nonpartisan educational organization that registers voters across the country. Williams also helped registered voters check their voting status, to be sure their polling place hadn’t changed.
The power of setting up outside of a grocery store? Heavy foot traffic. “Why not go places where people are going to be where they’re picking up their necessities? Because voting is a necessity just like your water or your apples or your oranges!,” added Williams.
MORE NEWS FROM WDVM
- Chief Contee gives update on Capitol shooting investigation progress
- WCPS provides update on Return to Play for winter sports
- CBP revokes travelers Global Entry status after finding contraband in his golf bag
- Cold front to bring very windy weather on Wednesday
- The NRA announces plans to reincorporate in Texas, will keep HQ in Fairfax for now