(CNN NEWSOURCE) — Doctors are worried that once a COVID-19 vaccine is here — its effect in the U.S. could be hampered by the obesity epidemic.
More than 100 million Americans are considered obese. Scientists says previous vaccines for illnesses like influenza, hepatitis b, tetanus, and rabies — have been less effective in obese adults than in the general population.
Though it’s too early to tell — they believe that would likely be the same for the COVID vaccine.
In addition — scientists are finding that not only is obesity a risk factor for cardiovascular disease and cancer — but it can also interfere with the body’s immune response.
That puts obese people at a greater risk of infection… Including from the coronavirus.
MORE NEWS ON WDVM
- Washington Patriots look to bounce back in week four against Hedgesville
- “Trust the process”: Hedgesville looks to bring home first win since 2018 against Washington
- President Trump expected to announce Supreme Court Justice pick Saturday
- Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services shares fire safety tips to the fall and winter seasons
- Montgomery Chamber of Commerce hosts 46th Public Safety Awards