Firefighters plug 1,000 gallon propane leak

Leak successfully plugged by emergency engineers

ROCKVILLE, Md. - Dozens of Montgomery County first responders were successful in bottling up a potentially explosive situation near downtown Rockville on Thursday.

Firefighters, hazmat teams and emergency technicians arrived at Suburban Propane facility at around 11 in the morning where they found a 10,000 gallon propane tank was leaking after its control valve had been sheared off.

The smell from the propane tank was so strong that it caused nearby Montgomery College to be evacuated for several hours.

Nearby red line metro trains were also briefly stopped over fear of a potential explosion.

"You can actually see where the product is and every once in a while it'll spew out of the tanks,” said Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Pete Piringer. “Some of it has dissipated already so that's why the Suburban Propane folks thinks that they can go in and maybe plug it up."

Officials later said that the technicians were able to contain the leak by plugging it and if they hadn't, it would've taken 18 more hours for the rest of the tank to leak out naturally.

Trending Stories

Latest News

Stay Connected